When Django closes a database connection at the end of a request/response
cycle does that connection still maintain its hold on the database?

I ask because I am running an app on a spatialite (v4.3.0a) database,
which, due to a limitation in the GEOS library (v3.6.1-CAPI-1.10.1 r0), can
only accept a maximum of 64 connections. When I configure Django so that
CONN_MAX_AGE = 0, the server log will eventually begin filling up with
messages that read "ERROR: Too many connections: max 64". If I enable
persistent connections by setting CONN_MAX_AGE = None, these messages
disappear. To me this suggests that when Django closes a connection at the
end of a request/response cycle that connection persists from spatialite's
perspective.

Is this expected behavior?

The error message is easily reproduced by starting a project configured to
use spatialite, logging into the admin page, and then refreshing your
browser repeatedly until 64 requests have been made.

Thanks for any insights,

Mike

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/8b2d88c4-056c-4eeb-9dc9-7295f7ff0961%40googlegroups.com.