GeoServer allows you to serve multiple formats for a WFS (not just GeoJSON)
- see
http://docs.geoserver.org/latest/en/user/services/wfs/outputformats.html

You also can't generalise about a WFS vs a WMS in terms of time - there are
many instances where its much more efficient to serve vector data.

GeoServer is a really useful and powerful tool/system for serving WMS or
WFS (or other outputs)  - but, as always, it depends on your specific use
case as to what technology you should choose.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e8ff43e0-b39f-4189-bd60-6071e1f1fad0%40googlegroups.com.