On Jul 7, 2017 8:27 AM, "Robert F." <robert.flaug...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a Vim plugin that does code completion for Django?  I'd like to be
able to type something like "foobar = models." and hit Tab and see a list
of classes like CharField or Foreign key.  Alternately, I'd be OK with
entering an abbreviation that would bring up the proper code snippet.  The
Django documentation suggests YouCompleteMe but it appears to only handle
Python code, not Django specifically.  Also, I haven't been able to get it
to work on my Mac laptop.

I almost exclusively do editing of Django files on a remote Debian server
from my Mac laptop.  I know PyCharm provides the ability to edit remote
files and it has Vim emulation but it's pretty expensive and I'm not sure
how closely the emulator emulates Vim.  SublimeText appears to have a
"Djaneiro" package that does what I need but it looks like editing remote
files is rather difficult with Sublime.  Doesn't Vim have better support
for Django code completion that's comparable to these two applications?

PyCharm's Vim emulation is quite excellent. For me, PyCharm pro is worth
the money for the extra Django integration. The community version is also
quite good, the only place I really missed the pro version is in the
template tags. The code completion works great as long as you mark your
project directories as source locations correctly.

For editing remote files, you may want to look into using sshfs to mount
your project directly locally. It's basically a file share mounted over
SSH, so everything is encrypted in transit.

http://www.miscdebris.net/blog/2009/06/29/installing-sshfs-on-mac-os-x/

Typically though, I'm editing/running files locally, then pushing them to
the server via git.

-James

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CA%2Be%2BciWG6OJaqzqXgBcSuBfze2mKLZdwPAuwWkAJifZ2fe-nQQ%40mail.gmail.com.