Hi Graeme, the only solution that comes to mind is overriding the
alter_field() or _alter_field() methods on the schema
editor:
https://github.com/django/django/blob/stable/1.11.x/django/db/backends/base/schema.py

/Markus

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/805ba24c-1d9d-4f9a-97c9-7139038f2962%40googlegroups.com.