First I asked a similar question on the postgresql-general list. The
discussion[1] has settled there.

Now I would love the hear what you think.

I am thinking about rewriting an existing application which uses PostgreSQL via
Django.

Up to now the permission checks are done at the application level.

Up to now queries like: "Show all items which the current user is allowed to
modify" result in complicated SQL and
this leads to slow queries.

Up to now there is one db-user and the application does the filtering of rows
to prevent application users to see
items which they are not allowed to see.

I guess most web applications work like this.

I would like to reduce the "ifing and elsing" in my python code (less
conditions, less bugs, more SQL, more performance)
One important intention for me: I would like to avoid the redundancy. As soon
as I want to query for
"Show all items which the current user is allowed to modify" I need the
permission checking in a SQL WHERE condition.

If I implement this. Then my code which might look like this is redundant:

{{{

def has_perm(obj, user):
    if user.is_superuser:
        return True

}}}

Yes, I feel farewell pain. I love Python, but I guess I will use perm checking
via SQL WHERE for new projects in the future.

What do you think?

 Regards,
   Thomas Güttler

[1]: