I am accustomed to seeing pip-installable dependencies of a Django project
each have their own `setup.py`. I am not accustomed to seeing a Django
project *itself* have its own `setup.py`, but I am now working with a
project that does just that. The setup does not move the Django project
itself to `site-packages`, but does add the whole project to the Python
path.

This approach is not documented or recommended by Django itself, and I
can't find many references to it on the web. The stated advantages are that
it lets you use `manage.py` from any dir (not just the top-level) and that
it simplifies the writing of fab commands. I am wary of it because it
(slightly) complicates setup, is unusual, confusing to new developers, etc.

Does anyone have experience with this approach? In 10 years of Django
development, I've never encountered this on a project, and it feels a
bit... strange to me. But would love to hear from anyone who has had
positive or negative experiences doing this.

Thanks for any feedback,
Scot

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/740d00af-0e81-452b-956e-c84fd5ca2e3f%40googlegroups.com.