Well, not a lot of insight from the broader community on this one, but a warm thank you to Melvyn Sopacua who took the time to think about it a bit and apply his experience which led me to:

    /usr/local/lib/python3.5/dist-packages/django/urls/base.py

where I could instrument Django a bit and find out how and why it was adding this bizarre prefix to the urls.

Alas it's a tad complicated and I'll try and publish a module with the fix some time soon (it relates to lighttpd, uwsgi, django interactions and the management of SCRIPT_NAME and PATH_INFO environment variables which lighttpd doesn't do to Django's satisfaction and so it needs tweaking and I have both a uwsgi application tweak and a middleware tweak for the job now).

Regards,

Bernd.

Bernd Wechner wrote:

OK, I've more or less solved my original problems in deploying in this space. Well I've deployed and am happy.

BUT, I am still bamboozled by something and wonder if anyone has any clue or insights to share?

I have these two urlpatterns defined:

    url(r'^list/(?P<model>\w+)', views.view_List.as_view(), name='list')
url(r'^view/(?P<model>\w+)/(?P<pk>\d+)$', views.view_Detail.as_view(), name='view'),

Works a charm with these template tags:

That url tag produces these URLs:

http://127.0.0.1:8000/list/Player
http://127.0.0.1:8000/view/Player/1

And it works. I click the links and they work. Well I've been developing this way for a couple of years and it's always worked ;-). it's great!

BUT, after deploying, this resolves on the home page to:

http://leaderboard.space/list/Player

And when I click it it works! Awesome. Happy as. Great stuff. Gotta love Django!

BUT, if is open this page:

http://leaderboard.space/view/Player/1

It renders fine, I see a great view of player 1.

BUT, on that page is the good old list link from above, namely:

and on the dev site this resolves to:

http://127.0.0.1:8000/list/Player

and here is the thing I'm stuck on! On the deployed site it renders as:

http://leaderboard.space/view/list/Player

What? Where did that 'view' come from? Of course I click it I get a 404 error:

    Page not found (404)
    Request Method:    GET
    Request URL: http://leaderboard.space/view/list/Player
    Using the URLconf defined in CoGs.urls, Django tried these URL
    patterns, in this order:

     1. ^$ [name='home']
     2. ^admin/
     3. ^login/$ [name='login']
     4. ^logout/$ [name='logout']
     5. ^fix [name='fix']
     6. ^unwind [name='unwind']
     7. ^check [name='check']
     8. ^rebuild [name='rebuild']
     9. ^kill/(?P<model>\w+)/(?P<pk>\d+)$ [name='kill']
    10. ^list/(?P<model>\w+) [name='list']
    11. ^view/(?P<model>\w+)/(?P<pk>\d+)$ [name='view']
    12. ^add/(?P<model>\w+)$ [name='add']
    13. ^edit/(?P<model>\w+)/(?P<pk>\d+)$ [name='edit']
    14. ^delete/(?P<model>\w+)/(?P<pk>\d+)$ [name='delete']
    15. ^leaderboards [name='leaderboards']
    16. ^json/game/(?P<pk>\d+)$ [name='get_game_props']
    17. ^json/leaderboards [name='json_leaderboards']
    18. ^static\/(?P<path>.*)$

    The current path, view/list/Player, didn't match any of these.

clearly. Because I don't look for this bizarre and newly introduced 'view'.

Now to be clear, I have a way around this, but I am not looking for a workaround here, I'm fishing for any clues that help me understand how the url template tag generates its output and when and why it inserts a string like this that seems to be the name of the view that the link is on!

Mystery++ and PITA.

Regards,

Bernd.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/d3a95675-8137-ab90-54ea-b3e44ae6f53d%40gmail.com.