Ok, thanks. So, I was confused about two things on authenticating a user.

1. What to do with the token?

   - You can pass the token as a query string and get that query params.
   Read more about how to get the query params here

<https://channels.readthedocs.io/en/stable/getting-started.html#persisting-data>.

   - Or if you are already passing it in the request's authorization
   header, you can get it from there (like my final code below). Remeber to
   first fake that request.

2. How validate that token and get the user?

   - Finally, VerifyJSONWebTokenSerializer class was all I needed to
   validate the token, and get that token's user object. You can read the
   actual code of django-rest-framework-jwt here

<https://github.com/GetBlimp/django-rest-framework-jwt/blob/master/rest_framework_jwt/serializers.py>
   .

So, I ended up doing this way:

def ws_connect(message):
    message.content.setdefault('method', 'FAKE')
    django_request = AsgiRequest(message)
    token = django_request.GET['token'].split(' ')[1]
    try:
        data = {'token': token}
        valid_data = VerifyJSONWebTokenSerializer().validate(data)
        user = valid_data['user']
        message.reply_channel.send({
            "accept": True
        })
    except (KeyError, InvalidTokenError, ValidationError,):
        message.reply_channel.send({
            "text": "Authentication error",
            "close": True
        })