Hi treyd,
I think idea of updating the model and storing it in the db is a bit
overkill, however you could create an @propery on the model that will do
that logic for you and return the css class for you.
e.g.
@property
def css_class(self):
  if self.state is SUCHANDSUCH:
     return "label-soandso"

and so in the template you can do what Vijay recommended but without
storing anything you don't need in the database.

Good luck with going Angular, it plays well with Django!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/5cd54887-196f-4ff3-b667-d3be42bdd2a7%40googlegroups.com.