I'd use git bisect to find the commit where the behavior changed in Django.
That will likely yield some insight.

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/internals/contributing/triaging-tickets/#bisecting-a-regression

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/16fc7b70-ba9f-4761-b73c-7499a9b7a373%40googlegroups.com.