I ran into a similar problem with one of my projects; people were using Greek
and Cyrillic letters and other symbols to be cute.  It’s all in English, but
they kept doing things like using ß for B and ¥ for Y.  And then expecting to
be able to search the way they way it looks.  So I am doing the cleanup in the
.save() method.  My only advice is to use
https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html?highlight=translate#str.translate
 instead of multiple replaces.  If you make the translation map a global
variable, it is much faster.

- Peter of the Norse

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/65B863CA-7C6C-4DC7-83FC-DAE87D2F6E8C%40Radio1190.org.