On Tuesday, 3 April 2018 22:17:34 UTC+1, Simon Connah wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Apologies as this is a newbie question.
>
> I have a Model, a CBV CreateView and a ModelForm.
>
> The ModelForm is set to use the model, and the model has a field called
> author which is a ForeignKey to default Django auth User model.
>
> I have removed the author field from the ModelForm as if I allow it the
> form widget shows a list of all of the registered users on the website.
>
> What I need to do is pre-populate the ModelForm with self.request.user
> from the CreateView. I've tried doing it in the form_valid() method but
> can't seem to get it working. As soon as a user creates an instance of the
> Model, I want the author to always equal self.request.user.
>
> I have a feeling you filter the ModelForm only to show the logged in user
> but I'm a bit stuck on that front. Perhaps you have to pre-populate the
> field in the ModelForm and then use a HiddenInput for the author field in
> the ModelForm?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thank you.

No, the right approach is to do it in form_valid as you tried initially.
This is explicitly
documented:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/2.0/topics/class-based-views/generic-editing/#models-and-request-user

If you're having trouble, you need to be more specific than "I can't get it
working".
--
DR.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/4bcfdc2c-7e2f-42dd-9295-1a31d85317d5%40googlegroups.com.