No I gave up on Django, don't know what it does, and don't have the money
to take a class to learn more, so I just gave up for right now, when I see
some money I might be able to take a class

On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 9:51 AM, Daniel Arndt <danielar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Although not explicitly mentioned anywhere, I've come to the conclusion
> Django blocks while writing logs with some handlers (it uses Python
> logging, https://docs.python.org/3/howto/logging-cookbook.
> html#dealing-with-handlers-that-block).
>
> I can't find anything that explicitly states Django handles this already
> (in the code or documentation) and I believe it to be a problem in the
> platform I am working on. Justification for this belief is loose at best,
> but it's the best lead I have (specifically, the SysLogHandler seems like
> it might be blocking on sending to a UDP port, which seems crazy but
> apparently is possible)
>
> I'm setting trying to see if I can solve this, but there seems to be very
> little details on this subject, and that alone worries me. So I have a
> couple questions for anyone willing to entertain me:
>

>    1. Is it silly to be worried about this? My gut says yes, simply
>    because nobody else is. At the same time I see no real downside to logging
>    asynchronously (is that true?). There are potential upsides. It might not
>    solve the real problem (what is causing buffers to back up in the first
>    place? likely crazy I/O usage) but it might speed up handling of requests
>    during heavy I/O.
>    2. Have you done anything similar to this? How did you approach it?
>    3. The QueueHandler suggested in the Python cookbook doesn't seem to
>    be easy to stuff into Django. We have Django running behind Gunicorn, so my
>    thought was to have Gunicorn spin up a QueueListener process, and then have
>    Gunicorn pass the queue to each worker similar to this cookbook:
>    https://docs.python.org/3/howto/logging-cookbook.
>    html#logging-to-a-single-file-from-multiple-processes
>
> <https://docs.python.org/3/howto/logging-cookbook.html#logging-to-a-single-file-from-multiple-processes>
>    -- I'm interested on any thoughts on this approach. Especially if there is
>    a better way.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

> msgid/django-users/ce269c78-bd6b-4e06-b9de-2da6ccc79cd8%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/ce269c78-bd6b-4e06-b9de-2da6ccc79cd8%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

David A. Bauer

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAJ%3DpNhEDYg_DWxorXDCtbCkLtMQfxatuh16apEFwfwf%3DREtW-g%40mail.gmail.com.