Do the class completely. Don't skip anything, especially things that are
hard. Always try to figure something out on your own, and take breaks when
you are completely stuck. If you are ever stuck, ask yourself why you are
stuck, and usually its because you don't understand some dependency. Google
everything about that thing until you fully understand that well. Then,
come back to the problem. Getting stuck and persevering are the fastest
ways to learn something, so don't be fearful of that process.

Tango with Django is the first interactive book I've read for Django. I
started by making some silly website I was interested in as quickly as I
could. Then, I went back and rebuilt it by writing tests for everything.
When you are prototyping to see how something works, don't bother with unit
tests. When you are prototyping you want to get an idea of how to design
the code. Just make sure to re-build it while writing unit tests.

Learning how to test things is the most important thing to learn early on.
When you write tests for your project, you are not only testing that the
thing works.. but also are writing documentation about how to use it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAJsZ3R4dzq2TabyN16vC21FuvELhTQuiBtrybGVOOC-16a1yRw%40mail.gmail.com.