Hello Olivier,

Since JSON objects can only have string keys[0] I'd suggest you always use
strings
as dict keys on the Python side to avoid having to deal with both cases.

Another solution would to subclass JSONField to override the from_db_value
method
to turn keys into integer when retrieved from the database.

Cheers,
Simon

[0]
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9304528/why-json-allows-only-string-to-be-a-key#9304820