And then you find out that Oracle implicitly converts empty strings to
NULLs which causes all kind of hassle. :)

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:39 PM, Ken Whitesell <kenwhites...@comcast.net>
wrote:

> Nick,
>
>      A null string (string with length 0) is _not_ the same as a null
> field (no string). The two are distinct, and (can) serve two very different
> functions.
>
> Take a look at this for some more detailed information: https://
> softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/32578/sql-empty-string-vs-
> null-value
>
> Ken
>

> On Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 5:17:35 AM UTC-4, Nick Sarbicki wrote:
>>
>> I just saw this in the docs: https://docs.djangoproje
>> ct.com/en/2.0/ref/models/fields/#null
>>
>> Suggesting that you should never set a CharField to null unless using a
>> unique index.
>>
>> Is this generally accepted? Historically I've always nulled a CharField
>> because using empty strings, as opposed to letting a column be nullable,
>> has felt very dirty to me.
>>
>> I would have expected (not suggesting this as a change) an empty string
>> to fail if the field isn't nullable.
>>
>> Am I on my own here?

> msgid/django-users/23e3a4dc-345a-4fb9-8122-0dba7b99bb4d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/23e3a4dc-345a-4fb9-8122-0dba7b99bb4d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> .

Jani Tiainen

- Well planned is half done, and a half done has been sufficient before...

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAHn91of_PjMgOqpOHhN4q572qLDX%2Bi_SDBrNuZpBthUDyn6r5w%40mail.gmail.com.