Downgrading to 5.7.7 and installing "mysql-connector-python 8.0.11" through
pip fixed the issue.
Is this because the mysql-connector-python from MySQL/Oracle does not work
with their own MySQL 8.0.11 version?

thanks
-Ram

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/9fa45c4b-1eec-4d08-ab95-004d91647bca%40googlegroups.com.