On 12/11/2018 7:02 PM, Lance Haig wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for responding.

My answers inline

On 11/11/18 11:07 PM, Mike Dewhirst wrote:
On 12/11/2018 12:47 AM, Lance Haig wrote:
Hi,

I have a project I am working on https://github.com/lhaig/usery/ and part of the roadmap of the project is to add more cloud types to the list.

I wanted to allow admins for these services to login and create records for their different clouds in the DB and then use these when people request access to these services.

I need to find a secure way to store these credentials so that even if the DB is compromised that the credentials are safe.

I agree credentials should not be stored in the database but what are your other assumptions about the threats?

How many sets of credentials will there be?

it could potentially be 5 to 10 per admin account

In future, will you be using simple credentials or tokens, certificates, multi factor auth?

These credentials are access details to other clouds.

The application is a user sandbox portal to allow admins to grant X number of days access to a cloud for testing and discovery.

It currently is focused on openstack but he roadmap plan is to add docker Kubernetes etc..

So I need to have the ability for the cloud admins to add or remove authentication details as they are needed.

I haven't thought deeply about this because it is not my project but on the surface, if they are temporary credentials I cannot see much need for heavy duty security.

If the perceived risk is database compromise it might be better to configure the database or the database server with an ACL including only the Django server IP address and perhaps one or two trusted people.

Maybe Kubernetes secrets is the eventual way forward but scalability is assured if you can keep the creds in the database.

What about a separate non-public schema (assuming Postgres) for creds? I'm sure you could lock that down to particular permission groups which ought keep things secure enough.

The bottom line question: What is lost if temporary creds are compromised?

Risk is hazard multiplied by likelihood/opportunity

If you can reduce either side of that equation you reduce risk.

What plan do you have to execute to recover from the feared event when/if it happens?

When all things are considered the answer to that last question determines how much effort is warranted.

If this is a prototype and only a few sets are involved you can store credentials in a file or one file per set and write a method to fetch them as required. That will keep them out of the database and let you rejig the method after you have decided how it should really work.

I currently use the .env file to hold these credentials but that does not scale very well when you need to add more and more.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

I would really appreciate some advice.

Regards

Lance

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/e6bb90c6-3f28-b190-d631-3f7b20fd2f99%40dewhirst.com.au.