It doesn't look like the fixes were backported to 1.11, after looking in
the django 1.11 release notes.  As Tim said,

Based on the commits there, it looks like Django 2.0.7 and above received
> the fixes

What I would suggest you do with this is start a django 2.0 project project
with the latest 2.0.x version and mysql 8.  Work to port your project from
1.11 to 2.0 and get all the tests working, then increment your django
version to the latest 2.1.x release.

Be aware that the next coming LTS, 2.2, is currently in alpha testing
release with an anticipated release in April this year.  So, it could be
very likely this approach requires you to do 3 django updates in close
intervals, but I believe the big question for you is whether your 1.11
project is entirely on python 3, as the 2.x version dropped support for
python 2.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/28b0c2dc-fbe1-4aa1-bc1a-c05b2d2d1c06%40googlegroups.com.