I know that you are new so, I don't want to overwhelm you.  One thing that
you might want to look into is pip, which is a package management tool for
python.  This will allow you to install python packages and keep them
up-to-date.

The if you want to take a more manual approach, you could download a gzip
file from the Django Project web site and install the most recent 2.1
version there.

What I would suggest is that, when you get a better understanding of Django
and Python, you can start using virtualenvwrapper to set up your
development environment(s).  There is a slight learning curve but, it
allows you to have setups that keep you from hosing up your system by
restricting your package installs to the development environment, versus
the system at-large.

You can search on pip and virtualenvwrapper to get an an idea on what each
of these does.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CAD6X1ZUEv1acTHE2JAtAcFFqpW7fC6hrS_MSCFdAofpvqaUR1Q%40mail.gmail.com.