I’ve discovered a ‘hack’ to correct the issue. I committed and pushed my
changes up to my GitHub repo for those curious enough to try it out
yourself.

My problem now is that I don’t really understand why it works. Here I will
explain what I do know and then my ask would be for you people to fill in
the gaps in my explanation.  First I share my working code.

Here is my views.py which includes the relevant function I use:

from django.http import HttpResponse

from django.shortcuts import render

def home(request):

   if 'ccEntry' in request.GET:

       number = request.GET['ccEntry']

       redacted_num = 'xxxx xxxx xxxx {}'.format(number[-4:])

       return render(request, 'home.html', {'number':number, 'redacted_num':
redacted_num})

   else:

       return render(request, 'home.html')

Here is my lucid, cerebral explanation of the above Python code in plain
English: At line 4 I am defining the `home` function. Then there is a
conditional referring to the ‘ccEntry’ string inside the template. If
ccEntry is present in the GET request, then a `number` variable is declared
based on the user input on the web page. Then a `redacted_num` variable is
declared which will appear as a string (‘xxxx xxxx xxxx ’ with the last 4
characters lopped off (the slice). If all of the above is in order, then
the render function will be returned:

   -

   with the standard request,
   -

   with reference to the home.html template,
   -

   along with a dictionary with a ‘number’ string matching up with the
   `number` variable. Ditto for the redact_num.

However if the above condition is false, then the render function will
return the standard request and home.html template without a dictionary.
That’s pretty much everything I understand.

I’m not sure why a conditional as it appears above is necessary.

Would someone here care to explain, if you can?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/9d21078f-64cd-464f-8cdc-9e8b7839bf48%40googlegroups.com.