I keep running into this problem and started working on a custom
solution... but before I spend hours on this, I want to confirm that such a
package/solution doesn't already exist.

I was working on a large project last year that involved a single set of
users and many small applications.  I made each application a Django app
and had them all tied together in one database.  There was only one
database dependency between the applications: the User table.

This became almost impossible to maintain for  multiple reasons:
* I had two apps that required different values in settings.py
* The test suite took forever to run
* One of the apps was developed originally using Postgres and I had to
spend hours hacking through code getting it to work with MySQL
* I had to share my entire code base to employ freelancers
* I had to deprecate one of the apps and this became a project in itself
(i.e., remove references in settings.py, dropping database tables, etc.)

Next time I'm in this situation, I'd like to develop each application as a
separate Django project and have them authenticate (via OpenID Connect) to
a project dedicated to this (e.g., accounts.mysite.com).

Has anyone seen an out-of-the-box solution for this?  The question is very
open-ended.