coolguy:

I tried it without the quotes. Maybe that was the issue.

Dana subota, 12. rujna 2020. u 20:33:52 UTC+2 korisnik coolguy napisao je:

> Keep this handy as well... 
>
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/ref/migration-operations/#addfield
>
> On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 1:43:37 PM UTC-4 [email protected] 
> wrote:
>
>> A question to coolguy:
>>
>> *What should I have done if I selected option 1?* I get the Python shell 
>> and if I input a default value - let's say "[email protected]", what else 
>> do I need to do? I tried to just provide the default value, but it wouldn't 
>> accept it, complaining that it was invalid Python (as it is). *Do I need 
>> to select the existing rows from the database and set them all to have the 
>> value of the new field to the default value? If yes, how do I do this most 
>> efficiently (in code)?*
>>
>> Best,
>> Mislav
>>
>> Dana subota, 12. rujna 2020. u 18:21:14 UTC+2 korisnik coolguy napisao je:
>>
>>> just FYI...
>>>
>>> You didn't have to delete the db.sqllite3 file rather would have 
>>> followed on-screen direction and provided a default value to persist in the 
>>> existing records in your database. Later you could have edited the info 
>>> through your program and make correction.
>>>
>>> This is pretty normal situation where we added new fields/properties in 
>>> our model while database has existing records. You wouldn't be able to 
>>> delete the database in case you are using relational database like postgres 
>>> or mysql.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> On Saturday, September 12, 2020 at 10:44:11 AM UTC-4 
>>> [email protected] wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hey Danish,
>>>>
>>>> I was able to resolve the error by deleting the *db.sqlite3* file from 
>>>> my project root directory and all of the *migrations* folders from all 
>>>> of my apps.
>>>>
>>>> Thank you for responding.
>>>>
>>>> Best,
>>>> Mislav
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Dana subota, 12. rujna 2020. u 14:56:13 UTC+2 korisnik 
>>>> [email protected] napisao je:
>>>>
>>>>> you need to give default value in email. seems few records are already 
>>>>> exist.
>>>>>
>>>>> else delete sqllite file and try again.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 6:22 PM Mislav Jurić <[email protected]> 
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey guys,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I added an EmailField 
>>>>>> <https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/3.1/ref/models/fields/#emailfield> 
>>>>>> to some of my already existing models. When I tried to run:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *python manage.py makemigrations*
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I got the following prompt:
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *You are trying to add a non-nullable field 'email' to employee 
>>>>>> without a default; we can't do that (the database needs something to 
>>>>>> populate existing rows).Please select a fix: 1) Provide a one-off 
>>>>>> default 
>>>>>> now (will be set on all existing rows with a null value for this column) 
>>>>>> 2) 
>>>>>> Quit, and let me add a default in models.pySelect an option: *
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I quit the prompt (option two). Then I went ahead and commented out 
>>>>>> the new EmailField in the models I added them and I dropped all of the 
>>>>>> database rows in my entire database (not just the rows related to the 
>>>>>> models where I added the new email field; I dropped every row from every 
>>>>>> table).
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Then I uncommented the new EmailField and tried to run:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *python manage.py makemigrations*
>>>>>>
>>>>>> again, *but I still get the prompt above*! I selected option 1 a few 
>>>>>> times, but I'm not sure what I need to do. I tried to supply a value for 
>>>>>> that field, but the prompt is a Python shell, so I'm not sure what I 
>>>>>> need 
>>>>>> to do if I select option 1.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> *How do I fix this?*
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Best,
>>>>>> Mislav
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google 
>>>>>> Groups "Django users" group.
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, 
>>>>>> send an email to [email protected].
>>>>>> To view this discussion on the web visit 
>>>>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CABTqP_HKzXHOAKC-y0AedjsxtBcgKLEk9Cj9J7nhgoD1EpNf%2BA%40mail.gmail.com
>>>>>>  
>>>>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/CABTqP_HKzXHOAKC-y0AedjsxtBcgKLEk9Cj9J7nhgoD1EpNf%2BA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>>>>>> .
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -- 
>>>>> Thanks & Regards 
>>>>>   
>>>>> Regards, 
>>>>> Danish
>>>>>
>>>>

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Django users" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To view this discussion on the web visit 
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/ef66474e-3867-43d4-abbe-9183cd08d2cen%40googlegroups.com.

Reply via email to