Dear all,

I would like to take this opportunity to announce my side project to
the Django community. It's a Django template indenter called DjHTML.
It's Black for Django templates!

https://github.com/rtts/djhtml/

Over the past year I have fallen in love with Black and pre-commit to
automatically format code upon each commit. However, I could not find
any tool that would do the same for HTML files and so I decided to
write one myself. Take for instance the following template:

    {% block content %}
    <form
    {% if index > 1 %}
    class="extra"
    {% endif %}

    {% localize on %}
    {% if clickable %}
    {% endif %}
    Blog post {{ nr }}
    {% if clickable %}
    </a>
    {% endif %}
    {% endlocalize %}
    </form>
    {% endblock %}

This is what it looks like after processing by DjHTML:

    {% block content %}
        <form
            {% if index > 1 %}
                class="extra"
            {% endif %}

            {% localize on %}
                {% if clickable %}
                {% endif %}
                Blog post {{ nr }}
                {% if clickable %}
                    </a>
                {% endif %}
            {% endlocalize %}
        </form>
    {% endblock %}

Currently, DjHTML is able to parse DTL, HTML, CSS, Javascript and any
combinations of these inside the same template. The indentation rules
are similar to Emacs' web-mode.el but with better handling of some
edge cases.

The difference with Black is that DjHTML is an indenter and not a
formatter: It will only add/remove whitespace and not insert newlines
or any other characters. The goal is to indent already well-structured
templates but not to fix broken ones. Also, unlike Black, the tabwidth
is configurable :-)

I am hoping that some of you will give it a try and hopefully provide
me with some feedback, test cases, and bug reports that will help me
improve this tool.

Greetings,
Jaap Joris Vens