guzru:

Julio Nobrega ha scritto:

I had a bunch of unicode errors using the template tag trans while
using Python 2.3. Upgrading to 2.4 solved all my problems.

  What version of Python are you using?

I'm using python 2.4.3. I've also tried updating gettext without
success.

Nah, the problem is elsewhere. xgettext would support utf-8, but the
way the django scripts work is incompatible with it. make-message
calls xgettext on each of the templates and python files, and then
concats the results. This makes it impossible to create the headers
that would specify the character set. The special approach is
necessary because the templates have to be preprocessed before
xgettext understands them.

It's probably still possible to improve this, but I tried and gave
up after I found out about the above. Any cool shortcut much
appreciated!

I now write use German without umlauts in the code and templates,
and I have a translation "German->German" that adds the umlauts. But
it's a real pain. Perhaps you should rather really start with
English and then translate this back to Italy? In my case, that's
difficult, because I often have the case that the same English term
needs to have different German translations ...

Perhaps we should open a ticket for it?

Michael