Can I just check I understand the broader requirements here:

* The user completes the form, which includes a list of items, and clicks
submit
* For each item in the list you want Django to create a new object and save
it to the database
* It tends to be a very long list and/or each item takes a long time to
process
* The user should see a progress bar while the server is working its way
through the list
* When all items have been processed the progress bar should be replaced
with a done message

If that's the case I think you should think about using Celery to create
tasks for each item. That'll allow your initial htmx post to return without
being blocked. The htmx endpoint for the progress bar can then check
completed count for the task group.