> On Feb 1, 2024, at 07:02, Lightning Bit <thelegendofearthretu...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Can one copyright an entire Django Project if it contains licensed code from
> APIs? Or, does the copyrightable code only apply to exclusive algorithms
> developed on the backend?

A disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

You cannot claim copyright on code that belongs to someone else.  The Django
code itself, and any Python libraries that you use, belong to someone else.

You can claim copyright on code that you (or your organization) produced
yourselves.

The Django license is here:

        https://github.com/django/django/blob/main/LICENSE

It allows you to *redistribute* Django's code assuming some conditions are met.
 That is not the same as claiming copyright on it.  For other software tools
that you might use, you will need to consult their licenses to determine if you
are permitted to redistribute them.

If you are planning a commercial product based around Django, especially one
that includes other PyPI libraries, it's a good (almost mandatory) idea to have
a lawyer review the licenses of the various components.  You'll want a lawyer
who is familiar with open source intellectual property issues.