Sebastien Armand [Pink]:
> No problem, thanks!
>
> There's already a ticket, it's here:
> http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/3387

No, thanks for searching, but it's not. #3387 was triggered by using

queryset.filter(unicode_string)

You didn't use a unicode_string within filter(), though the
traceback is similar. It happened because Django's ORM internal code
looks up the related records to a foreign key with filter(), and
uses a unicode string because because newforms put it in the model.

It's a new bug, but the patch in the #3387 should heal it. Funny.
Please *do* open a ticket. #3387 is closed. I'm now pretty sure that
your case has not been reported before.

> But though, is there another encoding I could use and how do I specify it?

Short answer: No, unless you want to patch Django or python ;-)

The concept of a default encoding is doomed, and python has finally
learned the lesson. I guess that you can use unicode(bytestring)
without giving an encoding at all is a trap that stems from times
when python had a settable default encoding. ASCII is used as a
default encoding in these circumstances. The same applies for
str(unicode_string) or for (bytestring == unicode_string). All these
are traps, traps, traps.

There is a hook in site.py, but this was left in for experiments. If
you use it, you'll probably get into devil's kitchen.

Michael

--
noris network AG - Deutschherrnstraße 15-19 - D-90429 Nürnberg -
Tel +49-911-9352-0 - Fax +49-911-9352-100

http://www.noris.de - The IT-Outsourcing Company