Hey all,

I am writing a new Django based application that will replace our
current shopping cart system.  All is great on that front and Django
has been amazing.  I have written xcart_convert.py that sends queries
to the current database to pull out all of the information and move it
over to the new Django database.  I have to do lots of different
parsing of items to get them more standardized and what not.

The current application has a products table that contains
descriptions for products.  In these descriptions the client was able
to do literally anything they wanted to do.  With that much freedom,
and little knowledge of how HTML and character encodings worked they
threw tons of stuff in it and it just happened to work.  My
xcart_convert.py script works fine, but when I have characters like
\xbd which is the hex value for the 1/2 symbol in extended ASCII it
doesn't get put into the database through Django that way.  It ends up
being represented as a ?.  I looked around for something to convert
these into HTML entities, but failed.  Should this being working
through Django or should I have to be doing something to keep these
characters in their original format?

Thanks!
Brian