Hi Thom,

On Mar 28, 10:13 pm, "Thom Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'll try it with just the one backend, but maybe I haven't explained my
> problem correctly.

This won't fix the problem. Multiple authentication backends are
supported by Django (it just tries them all in succession and stops as
soon as one succeeds -- or all of them fail.)

> In the Admin application there is a link to Users. When clicking on Users, I
> am presented with a list of records from the auth_users table. I click on
> Add New User, attempt to put [EMAIL PROTECTED] as the USERNAME, then a
> password, and click save. I am told that I can only enter alphanumeric
> characters for a user name. Obviousley the @ and the - break that rule.

The above Django snippet that I alluded to gives users the ability to
login with their email addresses instead of usernames. It does not
change the Django user model validation rules -- The username field
continues to have those restrictions you observed.

The idea with the above snippet is that when you add a user, you would
enter a valid username as well as an email address. The user can then
login by entering either the username or the email address in the
admin login screen. That login screen happily takes in an email
address.

Hope this helps clarify things.

-Rajesh