Hi Malcolm,
Simple example:

In my settings.py:
gettext = lambda s: s
LANGUAGES = (
    ('pt', gettext('Portuguese')),
    ('en', gettext('English')),
)

Imagine a client accessing to my site with a browser using 'pt-br', my
applications falls in 'pt-br'(because of
'django.middleware.locale.LocaleMiddleware'), I think is wrong,
because in my settings.py I don't have the 'pt-br', only 'pt'.
When I say "disable the subset language", I mean that if the subset of
a language is not defined in the settings.py of the project shouldn't
be loaded.
Do you agree?