Hi,
I am starting out with django and python, don't have much experience
in either. I have managed to create a few "simple" website with django
and really enjoy working with it.

But I am a bit stuck on my latest project. I am using a M2M relation
via an intermediary table.

http://dpaste.com/hold/7651/  I put all the code in there ..

I have a Image model, a ImageGroup (intermediate table) model and a
News (New) model.
New(s) has a:
imagecollection = models.ManyToManyField(ImageGroup...)

and ImageGroup holds:
Position (for sorting)
and a ForgeignKey to Image

Image holds:
Caption and the path to the image file.

I made a simple inclusion tag to get my News objects and send them to
my template.
But I am stuck on how do I get to the image data in my template? More
specific for this example I only need the 1st image, later on I will
need all related images but I hope I will understand how to do it once
I get to that stage.

I guess I need something in the inclusion_tag to get me the related
images in the order of the intermediate table "position" field?

I tried this but django complains about "self" (global name 'self' is
not defined)
images = ImageGroup.objects.filter( new =
self.id ).order_by( 'position' )[:1]

I read the docs and found examples in this group but I can't get my
head around it how it works on my model layout.

any help will be greatly appreciated.