Hi Mark,

In direct answer to your question, psycopg provides a database driver
for Postgres and is meant to be used by clients of the database - in
your case this would be the web server.  As far as your question about
configuring everything, that leads me to believe that you are fairly
new to either web development or software development in general.
The answer(s) to that question may be beyond the scope of this group.
Not to discourage you,  but you may have your work cut out for you.
That said, I think you will find that this and other open source
communities are very friendly and helpful as long as you are willing
to make an effort on your end as well.  I would advise reading through
tutorials - both on the Django site as well as the sites for the
requisite technologies (Apache/FastCGI, mod_python, PostgreSQL).  In
each case, I would focus on getting that particular piece installed
and configured so that you have some basic familiarity with each piece
before you start working with the stack as a whole.  Also, I would
recommend setting up the web+database server all on the same server to
begin with.  While distributing your services across multiple servers
is an excellent idea and a requisite for scalability, it also
introduces complexities and configuration/security considerations.
Start simple, verify and get comfortable with the setup, and then take
steps to achieve the setup you desire.

Hope this helps.

-Brian