Well I'm checking against Debian here at work and can check my Ubuntu
installation at home later, but running pg_config shows that postgres
was built with the "enable-thread-safety" option - (not sure if that
is a different option or if the psycopg docs are incorrect).  I would
assume the same for the version in the Ubuntu repos.  Of course you
can always verify yourself by running "pg_config"

Also, any reason you're building psycopg from source rather than using
the apt package?

Cheers
-Brian