Try changing:

PythonPath "['/root/mysite'] + sys.path"

PythonPath "['/root'] + sys.path"

I think you only need to tell the server where to find 'mysite' since
that is the root of your project. mod_python can then resolve
'mysite.settings' because it found mysite in 'root'.

Hope this makes sense. Anyway, your problem sounds exactly like what I
ran into the first time I moved my project over to mod_python / Apache.

Good luck,

MelechRic