I have three web hosts at the moment: SliceHost, WebFaction and
DreamHost.

If you are looking to deploy a nice, low-traffic (below 25k per day)
site, I would probably recommend WebFaction.  I was enamored by
SliceHost when I first signed up because you do get a nice, dedicated
256MB piece of RAM, but that goes to things like the MySQL daemon,
base OS, and the like as well as your Apache instances.  You also then
have to be the person who worries about security issues and tuning and
stuff.  If you're one person, a VPS probably isn't the best way to go
because you'll have to be both programmer and sysadmin.

WebFaction's shared hosting is a little more than shared hosting.
They provide you with your own Apache instance which is really nice.
This way, you can run Django under mod_python and have all the
goodness you'd want if you had set everything up yourself.  They also
used to be Python-Hosting from back when Zope/Plone was Python on the
web.  They know what they're doing.  Going the WebFaction route means
that you don't have to worry about security issues on the server like
you would with a VPS, yet they still give you enough RAM on their
$7.50 to have your site run and run well.

DreamHost only supports FastCGI and I wouldn't recommend it as much as
the other two unless you want a really awesome email account with more
storage than you could ever use.

WebFaction just makes deployment easy (no admin headaches) while still
giving you all of the meaningful stuff (your own Apache, mod_python,
PostgreSQL and MySQL, etc.).  But that's just my opinion.