On 22/05/07, omat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it a good idea to use a middleware class to detect the browser
> client looking at the HTTP_USER_AGENT so as to serve presentation
> logic accordingly, for mobile devices or older browsers, etc...?
>
> I know this is mostly done by <!--[if IE 6]>, etc... tags in the html
> document but I am not very familiar with this style.
>
> One pitfall I can think of is the bots. Googlebot for example can
> detect I am serving different content for different clients and judge
> that I am index spamming.
>
> oMat

In an ideal world you wouldn't have to do that, but if you find it
absolutely necessary, you could trigger different output templates for
different systems.

But as a first - try making everything as clear as possible, so you
wouldn't need to do such things in your code and complicate it
further. Serve validated output, so you won't trigger the different
quirks in different browsers when they encounter a "broken" section.
Focus on structure, and lay out with CSS. Define CSS for different
media - screen, print, mobile - and almost every sensible browser will
handle your output as you want it to be.

If you primary concern is mobile browsers, it would make sense to
define two different sets of outputs, but try not to do this for every
browser. People are trying to avoid such things as much as possible -
it does make a big mess.