I've implemented sitemaps for my site (www.trenchmice.com), and I've run
into a problem because of my site's size.

TrenchMice has 275K pages, generated from 275K+ database objects. The
sitemap classes return information on every object, which means they try
to return information on 275K+ objects! And as a result, the sitemap.xml
lookup never finishes.  (I gave up after waiting an hour...)

The sitemap classes dutifully return infrequently updated objects with a
low priority and frequency.  But because the classes look up 275K+
objects, and return _all_ the items in each set, it never finishes.

Unless I'm missing something obvious (and I might be), a straightforward
implementation of the sitemaps protocol doesn't work for large sites.

What do large sites do?  Do they return only the most recent N objects
of every class?  If so, then how do the search engines find out about
the infrequently updated objects?

John