You could do this pretty easily using your own forms ( not NewForms
and not Add/Change Manipulators ) along with the Django DB objects.

It's pretty easy to do a CustomChangeManipulator with fields from two
tables if it's just a one to one relationship, but for M2M, I usually
either roll my own or I display a list of the rentals with an 'edit'
link next to each item in the list.