Hi everyone :-)

I'm currently writing a small app that should store data for registered
users and guests alike in one single model. So I made following model
(simplied)

   class Content(models.Model):
      user = models.ForeignKey(User, null=True, blank=True)

The problem I now face is, that Django seems not to do a LEFT OUTER JOIN
when fetching all the instances of this model when queried with
select_related(), which naturally results in a huge amount of queries (I
guess on query per NOT NULL foreign key).

My question now is, what options do I have to keep the query count low?
So far I think I have following ones:

(1) Query without selected related and then fill the content.user fields
manually with a seperate WHERE IN query for the user.ids

(2) Use something like Martin Fowler's NULL Object pattern and basically
create a user with the ID 0 (or a negative integer if possible)

Thank you :-)
- Horst