> I'd suggest ditching form_for_model and writing a custom form; it's
> extremely easy to do that (as opposed to trying to shoehorn things
> into form_for_model), and really any time you need customized behavior
> you should be tailoring a form exactly to suit; anything else is
> asking for pain ;)

That is always the answer, isn't it?  ;-)  I guess I was hoping that
for something really not that far from the base case it would be
possible to not have to put together what's essentially a near-
duplicate of my model (DRY and all that).

Oh, wait, just typing that out, I had an idea -- I don't have my
project on this computer, but I'll try it when I'm there, unless
someone tells me first that it's a stupid idea:

Presumably, in the example above, overriding save() on MyForm doesn't
accomplish anything because the form instance being saved isn't a
MyForm.  Instead, it's a FormClass, which is created using rules from
MyForm.  If I could find a way to override the save() method for
FormClass instead of for MyForm, would that work?  Is there any way to
accomplish that?