> My question, then, is this: What's the most elegant way to
> pull off this hack? By the way, I am using newforms and the
> newforms-admin branch. (I want my customizations to work with
> 1.0 and beyond.)

Generally, zip-codes and cities have a one-to-one correspondence.
 However, this isn't 100% the case.

You could offer a zip-entry and then, if ambiguity arose, allow
the user to choose the intended town to clarify, much like other
error/validation processes where you'd repopulate the screen with
the existing data but flag the ambiguity as an error condition.

It would also be helpful to given the user a preview anyways in
case they mis-typed their zip-code.

-tim