I'm looking for some information about existing applications that
do ... applications. I tried googling this, but you can see where the
difficult comes in.

Basically, we have a number of paper applications that we want to
automate. Some portion of each application will be the same basic
contact information. Other parts of each application will be specific
to each department. Some will have selection preferences (My first
choice is x, second choice y ... etc). Other applications will have
different rate schedules based on population (vendor, teacher, etc) or
timeliness (180 days out, 90 days out, etc). Adding and changing
applications wouldn't happen frequently, but it shouldn't require
cartwheels.

And so on. Pretty basic stuff, I imagine, and a problem that has been
solved somewhere, maybe even in Django, I imagine. Before we start
rolling our own, I'm wondering if there are any existing projects that
tackle any portion of this problem.

If nothing else, some suggestions for search terms would be
helpful ...

Thanks
--stv