> I'm running Django 0.95 on Apache 2.0, using mod_python 3.3.1,
> and I use SSH to connect to my server.  After a few days of
> shuffling and cursing and fiddling, I've got everything
> running nicely: apps work, dbs work, templates work, css
> works.  But, I've found that when I make CSS changes, it can
> be 20 minutes or more before they "take" (eg. before I can see
> them when I open the site up in a browser), even after
> restarting the server.  But, template and code changes 'take'
> immediately (or right after a server restart).

I'd try to narrow down where the problem is:

-if it's on the browser, using a 2nd browser on that machine
should not pick up wrongly-cached stuff from the 1st browser.

-if it's on the server, you should be able to

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] telnet example.com 80
   GET /path/to/file.css HTTP/1.1
   Host: example.com

   [correct output?]

Another possibility might be a transparently caching proxy
between you and the server.  The results of the above telnet
*should* (on a compliant proxy) leak a little info about the
proxy server in the HTTP headers.  If this is the case, things
may be working properly, as caches should obey their headers,
which should give them permission to cache things for a spell
(such as 20-30 annoying minutes)

If so, you should be able to hit the server *from* the *server*:

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] telnet localhost 80
   GET /path/to/file.css HTTP/1.1
   Host: example.com

(make sure that if the proxy is listening on port 80, and
redirecting to port X that you change the "80" to the appropriate
"X"...this would be in your server configuration)

Once you know which of the three situations is the case (a messed
up browser cache, a messed up server, or a messed up proxy), you
can take appropriate action.  This may be clearing your cache
(you've already tried), ensuring the server process really did
restart, or changing your outbound headers to reduce caching time
until you know it's working properly.

It would also be helpful to know who (apache or django) is
handling these media files.

-tim