On 7/26/07, James Bennett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/25/07, Amit Upadhyay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I realized a new way to extend user models, it is simpler than official
> > get_profile approach of django[1] as there is only one model to work
> with,
> > and relationships are kept on the right model, and gives a less hacky
> feel
> > than "replaces_module" method[2].
>
> Personally, I'd disagree about it feeling "hacky"; it's using internal
> metasystem methods to pry open the model class and shove things into
> it, which is, well, hacky ;)

:-)

In this solution, however, every site shoves all its customization
> straight into the User model that's shared among them all, which
> raises a lot of ugly questions about what happens when those
> customizations collide with one another. Keeping per-site
> customization in a manageable, separate namespace is a good thing ;)

Well, AUTH_PROFILE_MODULE is not going away, it can be used in multi site
cases, but for simpler cases, this approach is much simpler. Also this can
be used to extend any django.contrib model, you can add "favicon_url" in
Site, or "description" in auth.Group for example.

--
Amit Upadhyay
http://www.amitu.com/blog/