On Jul 30, 11:56 am, "James Bennett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 7/30/07, Daniel Kvasnicka jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Hey, nobody has ever needed this? Any thoughts?
>
> You might want to search the archives of this list, or go to Google
> and type in "django extend user"; this is a pretty common question and
> has been covered in a lot of detail ;)

I know it has, I just needed to extend the model _without_ all the
ForeignKey and OneToOne mess..... I wanted to have one class to auth
against and have it with various methods and vars of my own. And I've
managed to do it with rather hackish combination of subclassing and
several lines of code of the following type:

User.add_to_class("field", models.CharField(blank=True))
User._meta.admin.fields += (
        ("My fields", { 'fields': ('field', ) }),
)

I like Django pretty much, but I consider the "impotent" model
subclassing to be one of the biggest drawbacks of Django :(

Cheers,
Dan