Hello,

I just noticed this thread about http push. I'm the author of orbited,
and the only reason there aren't django tutorials on using orbited is
b/c I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the Django framework. There is
absolutely no reason you can't use orbited to push events from Django
to the browser.

For those who don't know what this means, orbited is a comet/http-push
system designed to allow you to mimic the real-time two-way nature of
sockets, but over http. Gmail's talk and meebo's chat services are
done using comet technology not dissimilar to orbited.

I would say to take a look at
http://brbx.com/orbited/tutorials/python_intro.html
for the simplest possible introduction on how to send events from a
running python process to the web browser via orbited.

In comparison to Juggernaut, orbited is designed specifically to scale
and have no dependancies on the browser side. Juggernaut requires
Flash 8 and uses a channel/subscription based architecture that makes
it very, very difficult to scale. Juggernaut provides a much higher
level api than orbited though allowing for connect/disconnect triggers
to be added to each connection. When it comes down to it though, there
is little of importance that you can do with Juggernaut that you can't
do with orbited, and orbited is guaranteed to scale laterally without
much configuration work.

I encourage Django developers to take a look at orbited and also to
convert the cherrychat tutorial over to django. Its a project that
shouldn't take more than an hour for anyone who is familiar with
django and would be a great benefit to the community.

-Michael Carter