Russ (and others),

> The Django serializers accept any iterable, not just query sets. You
> can pass in any list or set of Django object instances, and they
> willserializefine.
>
> Yours,
> Russ Magee %-)

I thought the same thing from this line in the serialization
documentation:

(Actually, the second argument can be any iterator that yields Django
objects, but it'll almost always be a QuerySet).

But this isn't working for me; please tell me what I'm doing wrong
below.

>>> from django.core import serializers
>>> serializers.serialize( "xml", ['abc','def','ghi'] )
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<console>", line 1, in ?
  File "/sw/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/serializers/
__init__.py", line 67, in serialize
    s.serialize(queryset, **options)
  File "/sw/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/serializers/
base.py", line 36, in serialize
    self.start_object(obj)
  File "/sw/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/serializers/
xml_serializer.py", line 42, in start_object
    raise base.SerializationError("Non-model object (%s) encountered
during serialization" % type(obj))
SerializationError: Non-model object (<type 'str'>) encountered during
serialization

Now really, my goal is not to serialize a list, but rather a non-model
object-instance. If I try passing in an instance of a class (in a list
so it's iterable) that last error-line reads:

SerializationError: Non-model object (<type 'instance'>) encountered
during serialization

If I try passing in (now in desperate curiosity-stage) the class
itself (again, in a list) I get:

SerializationError: Non-model object (<type 'classobj'>) encountered
during serialization

It seems to *really* want a model-object! Pointers very welcome!

-Birkin