On Aug 6, 9:48 am, Brett Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 06, 2007 at 06:07:16AM -0700, john wrote:

> > > The file's name is 'django-admin.py', not 'django-admin', and the
> > > tutorial is correct; the problem was that you did not have the
> > > executable bit set on django-admin.py, and so you did not have
> > > permission to execute that file from the command line.
>
> > Okay,  but who is the Ubuntu package manager contact  for django? -
> > how can we get the packaging straightened out so new people to django
> > don't face the same problem I did.  As I mentioned before, it seems
> > the packaging can be improved.
>
> Err, it's not an "official" ubuntu package, it's a compile of the debian
> package.... you can find that with a simple "apt-cache show
> python-django". Bugs, apparently, should be mailed to
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]", I'm in the "Original-Maintainer" field.
>
> The packaging just uses python support - there's nothing clever going on
> there - the only thing we (me and raphael, my sponsor for that package)
> do is rename django-admin.py to django-admin and drop it in /usr/bin for
> convienience. (Oh, and change /usr/bin/env python -> /usr/bin/python,
> modify the bash completion to deal with django-admin.
>
> If you've got any suggestions for the packaging, I'm willing to listen!

just as suggestions:
1) the /django/bin/.... files are in 3 locations (perhaps because I
loaded from respository and from tarball) - the 3 locations are:
a) /usr/lib//python2.5/site-packages/ ....
b) /usr/lib/python-django/......   (the folder is symlinked but all
the files are still underneath)
c) /usr/share/python-support/.....

if there's a good reason for them to be in all 3 places fine, just is
confusing

2) whether ".py" or not to be ".py" doesn't really matter - just an
explanation on the tutorial for debian/ubuntu users will help avoid
the constant frustration I had trying to get it to run (and to avoid
future support msgs on the same issue).

thks for the support - I am now exploring Django and seeing if it can
convert me from rails.

john