> if you have an app named "tests" and you add it to your INSTALLED_APPS
> (which I guess is necessary) - does django create any tables or any
> content (e.g., additional content-types) outside the test-database?

I would proffer that unless there's a pressing reason to name
your app "tests" (such as you're writing academic software or
software whose purpose is testing the user or something they
have), I would avoid tempting fate by using "tests" as my appname.

I just create a folder called "tests/" within my regular app.

As for your "does django create any tables or any
content...outside the test-database", my understanding is that
the answer is "mostly no".  A fresh testing DB is created,
populated, tested against, and then dropped.  However, if you
have Image or File fields which store pieces outside the DB,
their associated flotsam may linger about.

-tim